Walmart, the retail giant, offers various job opportunities across the United States. However, things can get a bit confusing when it comes to age requirements.
This article clarifies the minimum age to work at Walmart and tackles other Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) related to age and employment at the company.
In this article:
How old do you have to be to work at Walmart?
Walmart’s minimum age requirement for employment is 16 years old. However, this applies to most positions within Walmart stores. Certain roles and positions within Sam’s Club (a subsidiary of Walmart) may have a higher minimum age requirement of 18 years old.
Here’s a breakdown of age requirements based on the type of Walmart store:
- Walmart stores: 16 years old
- Sam’s Club locations: 18 years old
- Positions involving alcohol sales: 18 to 21 years old (depending on state law)
Positions Available for 16-Year-Olds at Walmart
While not all positions are available to 16-year-olds, Walmart does offer a variety of entry-level roles that are suitable for younger workers.
Teenagers who meet the minimum age requirement can apply for the following entry-level positions at Walmart:
Cashier ($12 to $17/hour starting wage): Responsibilities include ringing up customers at the cash register, handling money and payments, bagging groceries, and providing excellent customer service.
Sales Associate ($11 to $14/hour starting wage): Sales associates assist customers on the sales floor, answer questions, keep products stocked and sorted, and maintain a clean and organized shopping environment.
Greeter ($12 to $17/hour starting wage): Greeters welcome customers as they enter the store, providing a friendly and helpful first impression.
Stocker ($12 to $14/hour starting wage): Stockers ensure that shelves are fully stocked with products and maintain a well-organized backroom.
Factors Influencing Age Requirements
- State and Local Laws: Walmart adheres to all applicable state and local laws regarding minimum age requirements for employment.
- Job Responsibilities: The specific tasks and responsibilities associated with a job can influence the minimum age requirement.
- Safety Considerations: Walmart prioritizes the safety of its employees and customers, and certain jobs may necessitate a minimum age of 18 due to safety concerns.
Hiring Process and Interviews for Different Level
- Entry-Level Positions: Most entry-level jobs at Walmart do not require prior experience or a high school diploma.
- Managerial Positions: Managerial roles typically require experience in retail and a minimum of a high school diploma or GED.
- Physical Requirements: Some positions may have physical requirements, such as the ability to lift heavy objects. However, exact qualifications vary by position and store location.
Walmart’s Hiring Process Explained
The typical hiring process at Walmart involves the following steps:
- Application: Applicants can apply for jobs online or in person at a Walmart store.
- Interview: If a candidate’s application is successful, they will be invited to participate in an interview.
- Orientation: Upon successful completion of the interview, new hires attend an employee orientation to learn about Walmart’s policies and procedures.
- Start Working: Once orientation is completed, new employees are ready to begin their roles at Walmart.
Key Information for Young Workers Must Know
Restrictions for 16-Year-Old Employees:
- Cannot sell alcohol or tobacco products
- Overnight shifts
- Operating heavy machinery, such as forklifts
- May have limited hours of work, especially during school hours
- May be required to obtain a work permit in certain states
Check this also: How Many Occurrences Are Allowed at Walmart?
Tips for Young Applicants to win an interview
- Positive attitude: Essential for interacting with customers and maintaining a friendly demeanor.
- Basic math skills: Needed for handling cash transactions and providing accurate change.
- Interpersonal communication: Necessary for understanding instructions, communicating with customers, and working as a team.
- Attention to detail: Crucial for stocking shelves accurately and following instructions.
- Time management: Important for completing tasks efficiently and working independently.
- Physical endurance: Some positions require lifting heavy objects or standing long.
Walmart Hiring Practices
- No experience is required for most hourly positions.
- No high school diploma is required for most hourly positions.
- Background checks are conducted for all applicants.
- Drug tests may be required for some positions.
Working at Walmart can be a great first job option for young people seeking valuable experience and earning income. By understanding the minimum age requirements and addressing any other age-related concerns, you can navigate the application process smoothly and increase your chances of landing your desired position.
Can a 14 and 15-year-old work at Walmart?
No, unfortunately, 14 and 15-year-olds are not eligible for employment at Walmart due to the minimum age requirement of 16.
What are the best Walmart jobs for teenagers?
Some of the best Walmart jobs for teenagers include cashier, stocker, and cart attendant. These positions offer opportunities to develop customer service skills and gain valuable work experience.
Do I need proof of age to work at Walmart?
Yes, during the onboarding process, you will be required to provide valid documentation verifying your age, such as a driver’s license or birth certificate.
Are there work permits or limitations for minors working at Walmart?
Specific work permits or limitations might apply depending on your location and age. For example, minors might have restrictions on working hours or operating certain equipment. It’s crucial to check your local labor laws and regulations.
I’m 18 and want to work in the bakery. Are there any additional requirements?
Yes, some departments, like the bakery, might require additional training or certifications beyond the minimum age requirement. Consult the specific job description or contact Walmart directly for more information.
What are the benefits of working at Walmart as a young person?
Walmart offers various benefits for all employees, including competitive wages, discounts on merchandise, opportunities for advancement, and training programs. Additionally, young workers can gain valuable experience in customer service, teamwork, and responsibility.
Does Walmart hire part-time employees?
Yes, Walmart offers both full-time and part-time positions to accommodate different needs and schedules. Minors under the age of 18 are legally limited to working a maximum of 4 hours per day and 20 hours per week during the school year.
How much does Walmart pay 16-year-olds?
The starting wage for entry-level positions at Walmart, including those available to 16-year-olds, is typically $12 per hour.
Is it hard to get hired at Walmart?
The hiring process at Walmart is generally considered to be straightforward. Maintaining a professional demeanor during the application and interview process can significantly increase your chances of being hired.
Does Walmart hire 16 year olds?
Yes, Walmart generally hires 16-year-olds in most positions within the United States. However, there are some exceptions:
- Sam’s Club: The minimum age for Sam’s Club is 18 years old.
- Specific positions: Certain roles involving alcohol or tobacco sales, operating heavy machinery, or handling hazardous materials might have higher age requirements.
How long does it take for Walmart to hire you?
The hiring timeline at Walmart can vary depending on several factors, such as:
- The specific position you applied for: Some roles have a faster hiring process than others.
- The current hiring needs of the store: If there are open positions and fewer applicants, the process might be quicker.
- Your background check and onboarding paperwork: These steps can take a few days to complete.
Generally, expect the process to take anywhere from one to several weeks. You can check the status of your application online or by contacting the store directly.
Should you call Walmart after applying?
Following up after applying for a job can demonstrate your interest and professionalism. However, no one-size-fits-all answer to whether you should call Walmart specifically exists. Here are some things to consider:
- The job posting: Check if the posting mentions contacting the store after applying.
- The time since you applied: Wait at least a week or two before following up.
- Your preferred method of communication: You can call, email, or visit the store in person.
Remember: Be polite and professional when contacting the store.
Check also: How Long Does a Walmart Background Check Take?
How old do you have to be to work at Walmart in Canada?
The minimum age to work at Walmart in Canada is 16 years old for most positions. However, similar to the US, there might be exceptions for specific roles or provinces. It’s always best to check the job posting or contact the store directly for accurate information.