Walgreens is a well-known American pharmacy store chain renowned for offering a wide array of products and services. It caters to diverse needs, from medical prescriptions to healthcare and beauty supplements. However, one question that often arises is, “Can you cash a check at Walgreens?”
This comprehensive guide will delve into the details of Walgreens’ check cashing services and why they are no longer available.
Can You Cash a Check at Walgreens? Read!
Walgreens Check-Cashing Policy
Following CVS, Walgreens is the second-largest pharmacy store conglomerate in the United States. With thousands of store locations, it serves millions of customers daily. In the past, Walgreens provided check cashing services across all its store locations, utilizing a prepaid credit card issued by the pharmacy chain. This service allowed customers to deposit cash into the Walgreens credit card using any check as a form of payment.
Walgreens’ check-cashing policies are clear as of 2023: they do not offer check-cashing services. However, you can use checks as a payment method for your purchases at Walgreens or its sister store, Duane Reade. This means you won’t be able to receive cash in exchange for your checks at Walgreens, but you can use them to pay for products or services.
It’s essential to understand that not all retail chains have the same check-cashing policies. These policies can vary depending on the state and the specific store’s rules. While checks can be used as a payment method at Walgreens, other options exist than cashing them in-store.
However, it’s important to note that this method of check cashing at Walgreens is no longer available. In 2015, Walgreens discontinued the issuance of the prepaid credit card, which effectively brought an end to their check cashing services.
Reasons Behind the Discontinuation
Walgreens discontinued their check cashing services in early 2023. The company has not officially commented on the matter, but financial experts have outlined several key reasons for the decision:
- High-risk nature: Check cashing services are considered high-risk due to the potential for fraudulent activities. Walgreens may have decided to discontinue the service to minimize these risks.
- Shift to digital payments: In an age where digital payment methods have become the norm, traditional check cashing is seen as outdated. The discontinuation may be attributed to the evolving financial landscape.
- Low-profit margins: Offering check cashing services can yield a relatively low profit compared to other financial services. Walgreens may have chosen to allocate its resources to more lucrative offerings.
Where to Cash Your Checks?
While Walgreens no longer offers check cashing services, plenty of reliable alternatives are available across the United States. Here are a few options:
Community Financial Service Center
- Offers 24-hour check cashing services.
- Handles various types of checks, including personal, payroll, and government-issued checks.
- One of the largest retail corporations in the United States.
- Offers check-cashing services during store hours.
- Has policies in place regarding the types of checks they will cash.
- A chain supermarket known for its versatile services.
- Provides check-cashing services at customer service desks during store hours.
- Often offers competitive fees.
- A New York-based financial service provider.
- Offers round-the-clock check cashing services at most of their locations.
- Accepts various types of checks, including insurance and money orders.
- Specializes in financial services round the clock.
- Offers fast check cashing services.
- Accepts all types of checks, personal and business.
- Known for quick payday loans.
- Offers check cashing services, ensuring quick access to funds.
Here is a quick summary of the above payment method
|Provider||Fee||Service Timing||Additional Information|
|Community Financial Service Center||Varies||24/7||Policies are in place regarding the types of checks they will cash. Safety guidelines: Walmart is a well-known and trusted retailer. However, being aware of your surroundings when cashing a check in a public place is always a good idea.|
|Walmart||Up to $6||Store hours||Offers quick access to funds. Safety guidelines: Speedy Cash is a licensed check cashing service. However, knowing the fees associated with using this service is always a good idea.|
|Kroger||Up to $3||Store hours||Often offers competitive fees. Safety guidelines: Kroger is a well-known and trusted retailer. However, being aware of your surroundings when cashing a check in a public place is always a good idea.|
|Payomatic||Varies||24/7||Accepts various types of checks, including insurance and money orders. Safety guidelines: Payomatic is a licensed check cashing service. However, it is always a good idea to read the terms and conditions of any financial service before using it.|
|PLS 24/7||Varies||24/7||Accepts all types of checks, personal and business. Safety guidelines: PLS 24/7 is a licensed check cashing service. However, being aware of your surroundings when cashing a check in a public place is always a good idea.|
|Speedy Cash||Up to $10||Store hours||Offers quick access to funds. Safety guidelines: Speedy Cash is a licensed check cashing service. However, it is always a good idea to know the fees associated with using this service.|
Alternative Options for Cashing Checks
If you need to cash a check, there are a number of alternative options available:
- Your bank: The easiest and most straightforward way to cash a check is to visit your bank. Most banks offer check-cashing services to their account holders.
- Check-cashing locations: You can also find dedicated check-cashing locations near you. These establishments specialize in cashing checks and often provide this service for a fee.
- Online check-cashing services: In today’s digital age, you can use online platforms to deposit and cash checks using your smartphone. Services like Ingo Money and PayPal’s check-cashing service offer convenient options for handling your checks.
- Check-cashing chains: Look for national chains such as ACE Cash Express, Check into Cash, and PLS Check Cashing. They have multiple branches and provide check-cashing services.
- Local banks and credit unions: Some local banks offer check-cashing services for non-account holders, though fees may apply.
- Convenience and grocery stores: Larger convenience stores and chains may also offer check-cashing services.
The discontinuation of check cashing services at Walgreens reflects the changing financial landscape. As more and more people adopt digital payment methods, the demand for traditional check-cashing services is declining.
Deciding to discontinue check cashing services will likely positively impact Walgreens’ bottom line. Check cashing services are a high-risk, low-margin business. By discontinuing these services, Walgreens can free up resources to focus on more profitable offerings.
The discontinuation of check cashing services may inconvenience some customers. However, there are a number of alternative ways to cash checks. Customers can cash checks at banks, credit unions, and other financial institutions. They can also use check cashing services offered by other retailers.
Walgreens, a leading pharmacy chain with an extensive presence in the USA, offers various services, including medical prescriptions, health supplements, and EBT acceptance.
However, Walgreens ceased offering this service in 2015 regarding check cashing. While you can no longer cash checks, you can still use checks for purchases and even get a cashback of up to $20. For now, the chances of Walgreens reintroducing check cashing services seem slim.
In this guide, we’ve explored the history of check cashing at Walgreens, the reasons for its discontinuation, and the alternatives available to customers. While the days of cashing checks at Walgreens are gone, the convenience of using checks for purchases and obtaining cashback remains an option for customers.
Can I cash a check in an ATM?
Yes, some ATMs allow you to cash checks. However, not all ATMs offer this service. You must check with your bank or ATM provider to see if they offer check cashing at ATMs. There may also be fees associated with cashing checks at ATMs.
Can you cash a check at 7-Eleven?
Yes, 7-Eleven does offer check cashing services. However, there are fees associated with this service. The fee will vary depending on the amount of the check. You must also show valid identification to cash a check at 7-Eleven.
Can I cash a check at Walmart?
Yes, Walmart does offer check cashing services. However, there are fees associated with this service. The fee will vary depending on the amount of the check. You will also need to show valid identification to cash a check at Walmart.
Can I cash a cashier’s check at Dollar General?
No, Dollar General does not offer check cashing services.