For savvy shoppers seeking a streamlined in-store experience, Walmart’s Scan and Go technology offers a compelling solution. But how exactly does it work, and what are the key things to know before you try it?
Walmart, the retail giant, understands this and has implemented a game-changing feature for its customers: Scan & Go. This innovative mobile checkout option allows you to breeze through the store, scanning items as you shop and skipping the traditional checkout lines altogether.
In this article:
What is Scan & Go?
Scan & Go is a feature within the Walmart app that transforms your smartphone into a powerful shopping tool. Open the app, activate Scan & Go, and scan the barcodes of your chosen items as you browse the aisles. The app keeps track of your selections and calculates your total in real time.
Once you’re done shopping, head to a designated self-checkout lane, scan a final QR code, and pay directly through your phone using Walmart Pay.
Does Walmart Have Scan and Go?
So, does Walmart have Scan and Go? Absolutely! As of 2023, all Walmart stores in the United States offer this handy feature, aiming to make your shopping trip efficient and hassle-free. But before you whip out your phone and start scanning, let’s delve deeper into the details.
How Does Scan and Go Work at Walmart?
A Step-by-Step Guide to Scan and Go Success. Ready to experience the convenience of Scan and Go? Here’s a breakdown of the process:
- Download and Open the App: Head to your app store and download the Walmart app. Once installed, open the app and navigate to the Services menu at the bottom. Locate and select “Scan & Go.”
- Activate Scan and Go: Ensure you’re physically in the Walmart store to activate the feature.
- Start Scanning: Grab your phone and scan the barcodes of your chosen items. If you’re purchasing multiples of the same item, adjust the quantity instead of scanning each individually.
- Review and Confirm: After scanning everything, tap “View Cart” to double-check your selections and quantities. Make any necessary adjustments here.
- Proceed to Checkout: When satisfied with your cart, click “Check Out” within the app. This directs you to a self-checkout kiosk.
- Finalize Payment: Scan the QR code on the self-checkout kiosk screen using your phone’s camera. Confirm your payment method, and voila! You’re done!
Bonus Tip: Utilize the “Walmart Pay” feature within the app to streamline the payment process further.
What You’ll Need to Know for Scan and Go?
To embark on your Scan and Go journey, ensure you have the following:
- Walmart+ Membership: As an exclusive perk for members, Scan and Go isn’t accessible to non-members. Consider signing up to unlock this time-saving benefit and explore other membership perks!
- Quantity restrictions: You can only purchase a limited quantity of certain items per transaction using Scan and Go. These restrictions vary depending on the item and may change over time.
- Age verification: For age-restricted items like alcohol or tobacco, you must present your ID to an associate at the designated station before purchasing.
- Only for some items: Some items, such as loose produce or lottery tickets, cannot be scanned through the app. You must weigh or purchase these items at the traditional checkout lanes.
- Smartphone with Camera: Your trusty smartphone equipped with a camera is your barcode scanner.
- Walmart App: Download the Walmart app and ensure it has location services enabled to recognize your store location.
- Internet Connection: Maintain a stable internet connection through store Wi-Fi or mobile data for seamless scanning.
- Payment Method: Link your credit or debit card to your Walmart Pay account within the app for quick checkout.
Will I Wait in the Line with Scan and Go?
While Scan and Go aims to expedite your checkout process, you might still encounter a wait depending on several factors:
- Number of Scan and Go users: If many shoppers use this service simultaneously, there could be a queue at the designated lanes.
- Self-checkout lane availability: Even if you reach the Scan and Go lane quickly, you might need to wait if all self-checkout stations are occupied.
Scan and Go vs. Traditional Checkout: Weighing the Options
While Scan and Go boasts undeniable convenience, it’s essential to consider its comparison to traditional checkout methods:
Advantages of Scan and Go:
Skip the checkout line: No more waiting in queues! Scan and Go empowers you to bypass the checkout hassle, saving you valuable time.
Shop at your own pace: Browse the aisles freely, scanning items as you go without the pressure of a physical cart.
Monitor your spending: Keep track of your cart total in real time, allowing for informed budgeting while you shop.
Disadvantages of Scan and Go:
Membership required: As mentioned earlier, Scan and Go is a Walmart+ exclusive feature.
Limited to self-checkout: You’ll need to finalize your purchase at a self-checkout kiosk, which might only be ideal for some.
Potential for scanning errors: Double-check your scanned items carefully to avoid unintentional misses or incorrect quantities.
What are the Benefits of using Scan & Go at Walmart?
Save precious time: Skip the checkout lines and get in and out of the store faster, especially during peak hours.
Shop with ease: Enjoy a more convenient and contactless shopping experience, perfect for busy schedules or when you want a quick trip.
Keep track of your spending: Monitor your total bill as you shop and avoid any surprises at the checkout.
Claim exclusive offers: Scan & Go users often have access to special discounts and promotions unavailable to regular shoppers.
Walmart’s Scan and Go is a valuable tool for savvy shoppers seeking a faster and more convenient checkout experience. While it requires a Walmart+ membership and has some limitations, the benefits undoubtedly outweigh the drawbacks. So, the next time you’re at Walmart, ditch the cart queue and embrace the ease of Scan and Go!
Remember, this technology is still evolving, and we can expect further improvements and wider accessibility in the future.
Does Scan & Go work in all Walmart stores?
Yes, Scan & Go is available in all Walmart locations across the United States.
Do I need a specific phone to use Scan & Go?
Most smartphones with a working camera and the latest app update should be compatible with Scan & Go. However, it’s always best to check the app for specific requirements.
How do I pay for my groceries using Scan & Go?
You can pay directly through the Walmart app using Walmart Pay, which connects to your debit or credit card.
Is Walmart Scan and Go the same as self-checkout?
While both involve scanning items and paying without a cashier, fundamental differences exist. Scan and Go allows you to scan as you shop and virtually bag your items in the app. At the same time, traditional self-checkout involves scanning items at a designated station after physically collecting them.
Can I use Scan and Go for age-restricted items?
No, age-restricted items like alcohol and tobacco require verification by a store associate, making them incompatible with Scan and Go.
Does Walmart have Scan and Go in 2024?
Yes, Walmart does have Scan and Go as of February 2024. They launched it in all their US stores back in 2023! This service allows you to scan items as you shop using your phone’s camera and skip the traditional checkout lines, making your grocery trip faster and more convenient.
How do I use Scan and Go at Walmart?
Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Download and open the Walmart app: Ensure you have the latest version on your smartphone.
- Activate Scan and Go: In the app’s “Store Mode” landing page, find the “Scan & Go” option and activate it. Make sure your location services are enabled.
- Scan as you shop: As you browse the aisles, use your phone’s camera to scan the barcodes of your chosen items. They’ll be added to your virtual cart displayed in the app.
- Verify and checkout: Once you’re done shopping, head to the designated Scan and Go lanes at the self-checkout area. Review your cart for accuracy in the app, then tap “Check Out.”
- Scan and pay: At the self-checkout, scan the QR code on the screen using your phone’s app. Choose your preferred payment method and confirm the purchase. You’re good to go!
Why did Walmart stop Scan and Go?
Walmart never actually stopped Scan and Go. They’ve been expanding its availability since its launch. Confusion might arise from temporary closures of Scan and Go lanes due to technical issues or staffing shortages, which are not uncommon but don’t signal the end of the service itself.
Does Walmart have Scan and Go like Sam’s Club?
Yes and no. Both Walmart and Sam’s Club offer scan-and-go functionalities, but with some key differences:
- Walmart Scan and Go: Available in all US stores, requires a Walmart+ membership and focuses on individual grocery shopping.
- Sam’s Club Scan & Go: Currently in a limited pilot program at select locations, accessible to both Sam’s Club and Plus members, and caters to more extensive bulk purchases.
So, while both offer similar concepts, the specific details and availability vary between the two retail giants.