Costco’s food court pizzas have earned a legendary reputation for their size, quality, and unbeatable price. But what if you crave a slice without making the trip? Unfortunately, Costco doesn’t offer official delivery or online ordering for their food court pizzas.
However, fear not, pizza enthusiasts! Here’s your guide to navigating the various workarounds for getting that coveted Costco pizza delivered straight to your door.
- No official delivery, but workarounds exist: While Costco doesn’t directly deliver their food court pizzas, you can use third-party delivery services like Instacart or Shipt, place a phone order, or ask a TaskRabbit runner for a pickup.
- Costco prioritizes in-store experience: Their focus on brick-and-mortar shopping and the “Costco experience” means delivery is unlikely in the near future.
- Enjoy Costco pizza at home: Order frozen pizzas online, use third-party apps like DoorDash, or bake their take-and-bake options for a similar experience.
In this article:
Does Costco deliver pizza?
Currently, Costco does not offer online ordering for their food court pizzas. However, there are alternative ways to get your fix:
1. Third-party Delivery Services:
- Instacart: While primarily a grocery delivery service, Instacart offers same-day delivery for Costco items. You can order your groceries, then contact your assigned personal shopper and request they pick up your pizza order from the food court. Remember, this is an extra service, so tipping your shopper is encouraged.
- Shipt: Similar to Instacart, Shipt provides grocery delivery services and allows communication with personal shoppers. You can order your groceries and inquire about adding a pizza pickup to your order. As with Instacart, tipping the shopper for their extra effort is recommended.
- TaskRabbit: This online marketplace connects you with freelancers who can handle various tasks, including delivery. You can create a TaskRabbit post requesting someone to pick up your Costco pizza order and deliver it to your door.
2. Phone Orders:
Call your local Costco food court in advance to place your order. This allows you to skip the line and pick up your pizza at your chosen time. Check their website for the contact number.
3. In-Store Orders:
Head to your nearest Costco and order directly at the food court counter. Keep your membership card handy, as it may be required for entry.
4. Frozen Pizza Option:
If online ordering for fresh pizzas isn’t available in your area, consider ordering Costco’s frozen pizza options directly from their website. They offer various delicious varieties for you to enjoy at home.
Take-and-Bake: While Costco no longer offers its famous take-and-bake pizzas, its frozen section boasts a variety of options, including Kirkland Signature and Motor City Pizza Company brands. Bake them home and enjoy the Costco pizza experience without leaving your house.
Third-Party Delivery Services: Consider using third-party apps like DoorDash or Uber Eats. While these services don’t officially partner with Costco, they allow you to order from local restaurants that may offer pizzas similar to Costco’s.
Key Reasons Behind Costco’s No-Delivery Policy
1. Brick-and-Mortar First: Costco prioritizes getting customers physically into its stores. This strategy leverages the allure of its $1.50 hot dogs and $4.99 rotisserie chicken to drive foot traffic and encourage additional purchases. As CEO Craig Jelinek stated, “I still think brick-and-mortar is not going to go away.”
2. Digital Development Lag: Unlike competitors who have embraced online innovations, Costco has slowly developed its digital infrastructure. This approach reflects the company’s focus on the in-store experience and its belief in the effectiveness of its traditional warehouse model.
3. Cost Concerns: Delivering food court items would likely necessitate a price increase to offset operational costs. This could deter customers, especially compared to the low prices offered for in-store purchases.
4. Maintaining the “Costco Experience”: Delivering food court items might compromise the unique atmosphere and experience that attracts customers to Costco. The convenience of delivery could detract from the sense of discovery and impulse purchases that are often part of the Costco shopping experience.
Types of Costco Pizzas at Costco
- The cheese pizza is made with 20 ounces of mozzarella cheese.
- The combo pizza includes green olives.
How Many People Does a Costco Pizza Feed?
A whole pizza has 12 slices, each with 620-760 calories. Based on a recommended daily intake of 2000-2500 calories, someone can eat about 3-4 slices daily. However, this varies depending on individual needs.
Costco Membership and Food Court Access
A valid membership is required to enter the store and access the food court in most locations. Exceptions exist in California, Hawaii, and New York. Costco’s policy may change in the future.
Cost of a Costco Pizza
- Single slice: $1.99
- Whole pizza: $9.95 (prices may vary slightly by location and taxes)
- Washington State: $10.99 (due to sales tax)
The Future of Food Court Delivery at Costco
While Costco might eventually embrace some digital innovations, food court delivery seems unlikely soon. The company’s focus on its brick-and-mortar stores, cost concerns, and desire to maintain the unique “Costco experience” are significant barriers to overcome. However, the potential for improving the cake-ordering process suggests that Costco is not entirely opposed to digital advancements.
While official delivery isn’t available, you have options for enjoying Costco pizza. You can head to the store, use the TaskRabbit workaround, or opt for frozen options through grocery delivery. Remember, a Costco membership is key for most stores, but some locations with outdoor food courts offer exceptions. With its generous size and affordable price, a Costco pizza is a delicious treat for the whole family.
See also: Does Costco have Scan and Go Checkout?
Frequently Asked Questions
Why doesn’t Costco deliver pizza and hot dogs?
Costco prioritizes getting customers into its stores to encourage additional purchases and maintain the “Costco experience.” Delivering food court items could compromise this strategy and potentially raise prices.
How long does it take to prepare a Costco pizza?
The preparation time can vary depending on the location and how busy it is. Typically, cooking a Costco frozen pizza takes 18-21 minutes, and about 15-30 minutes for a Costco take-and-bake pizza. The temperature they keep to cook the best pizza is 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Does Costco offer any vegan or gluten-free pizza options?
Costco doesn’t offer vegan or gluten-free pizza options at its court food.
What are the operating hours for the Costco food court?
The food court hours vary depending on the location. Check your local Costco website for specific times. Some Costco are open on some holidays, too, but they may have shorter hours. The only holidays they’re closed are New Year’s Day, Easter Sunday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
Will Costco ever deliver pizza and cake?
Due to the reasons mentioned above, it’s unlikely in the near future. However, Costco might consider improving its cake-ordering process by implementing an online system.
Can I order a Costco cake online?
Currently, no. You must visit the bakery in person to place an order.
What are some alternatives to Costco food court delivery?
You can order pizza and other food items from various online delivery services. Alternatively, you can consider other grocery stores that offer similar food court options and delivery services.
Can I eat at the food court without a membership?
Yes, but only if the food court is located outside the main warehouse. In warmer climates, many Costco stores have outdoor food courts accessible to everyone.
Can I customize my pizza?
Unfortunately, Costco’s pizza customization options are limited. While they no longer offer veggie toppings, you can request a “half cheese, half pepperoni” pizza.
How many pizzas do I need for a large gathering?
Two pizzas should suffice for 20 adults. Each pizza has twelve slices, theoretically feeding 24 people if everyone eats one slice.